Saturday, April 22, 2017

Ohrid: Sv. Jovan Kaneo

This church of Sv. Jovan Kaneo (built at the end of the 13th century) has to be one of the most spectacular churches we have ever seen. And the views of the lake and mountains from its position on the cliff are truly spectacular. My pictures are not doing this justice.

Also -my Bradt Travel Guide tells me that "This church features prominently in Mancevski's Before the Rain, a must-see film about Macedonia."  (Note to self -- find Before the Rain)





a walk through the woods to get to the church
 

a turtle crosses our path

and - geckos!- along with the water - these creatures reminded us of our home in Florida

the approach to Sv. Jovan

I love these new lanterns - with traditional Ohrid architecture




the walk down the stairs to the church - somewhat treacherous - yet - who could complain with this view?!


the descent to the church

we went up and down stairs and hills several times throughout the day...I don't think the pedometer app on my phone captured the extent of exertion that came with each of our steps ;-)



the view of Sv. Jovan from our boat
 

No comments:

Post a Comment