Saturday, April 8, 2017

ALBANIA, Shkoder: Restaurant, Hotel, Museum -- Tradita Geg & Tosk

Have you ever wanted to stay overnight at an ethnological museum?! Here is your chance! Get to the Hotel Tradita Gege & Toske in Shkoder.

As I was planning out our 4-day spring break roadtrip, I was looking for interesting places to stay in Shkoder for our first night. I found a "glamping" campground - that had enticing pictures of bell tents, tree houses, and shepherd's huts - on the scenic lakefront. And my heart was set. We stayed in a tepee in Montana, outside Yellowstone, and it was quite an adventure. I was ready to book one of these nifty tents. Only after I submitted the reservation, I was contacted by the campground and told that they would not yet be open for the season. Oh, the  heartbreak.

What to do. What to do.

More internet research (!) revealed the hotel Tradita Gege & Toske.

After I saw this video of an  interview with chef/proprieter. Gjon Dukgilaj  I knew we had to visit.

The hotel/museum/restaurant is a house that was built in 1694 and lovingly and carefully restored/renovated.

Our room was rustic and colorful and eclectic. With a lovely view of the courtyard in the complex. And the cuisine was as delicious as we had expected.

I am grateful that I needed to keep searching, searching for good accommodation - as staying at this museum/hotel/restaurant was a real treat. We loved it! And I am happy that we were able to tell the owner himself how much we were enjoying the history and the decor - and our dinner.


Here is the facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/TraditaGT/


this was our hotel room! it was like staying in an ethnographic museum

our room had a lovely view overlooking the courtyard

and lovely cabinetry






lamb on the spit in the fireplace








the owner sat down to visit with us

the owner with our server

selfie with the owner/chef

No comments:

Post a Comment