Monday, April 17, 2017

IWA: International Womens Association Skopje (February and April General Membership Meetings)

We arrived in Skopje on Thursday, January 26th - and we were so excited that less than 24 hours after our arrival, there were events and activities at my daughter's school.  One was a community day that featured performances by different classes in the school (I posted about this elsewhere on the blog) and the other was a PSG meeting (Parent Support Group).

At the PSG, I met the president of the International Women's Association of Skopje, which was convenient, as I was going to seek out this group as soon as we were settled.

And, as luck would have it, the next monthly meeting of the IWA Skopje would take place just 5 days later.

The meeting took place over lunch at the Park Hotel.  Items discussed included a re-cap of the Holiday Bazaar, the volunteer project with the orphanage in Skopje, and the results of a survey of IWA membership. Unfortunately, I needed to leave early, but I was delighted to have connected with the group so soon after arrival.

It was through the IWA facebook page that I learned about, for example, the children's opera and the art glass workshop.

Unfortunately, I missed the March meeting. (I inadvertently scheduled a trip to Struga that day.)  The guest speaker was from Zonta, International -- so I was especially disappointed that I missed the opportunity to hear from her. I would like to find a way to collaborate on a community service project in conjunction with my "Democracy and Civil Society" class.  (I have been able to arrange a separate meeting to discuss.)

So I went ahead and put the April, May, and June meetings in my calendar so that I would not forget.

Fast forward to the April meeting.  This meeting also took place at the Park Hotel. But this time it was a beautiful sunshine-y day. So we were outside on the patio, overlooking the river.  At this meeting I learned more about the various work groups that have spun out of the IWA -- including the Book Club and the Singing Group (I hope there is another rehearsal planned before June!)

Here is the facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/International-Womens-Association-of-Skopje-242772860396/
some of the members of the IWA at the April meeting
in warmer weather I sometimes trade a macchiatto for a Nesspresso (cold)...yum!

And for more about the Park Hotel:  http://parkhotel.mk/about/
and facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ParkHotelSkopje/

No comments:

Post a Comment