Sunday, March 26, 2017

Skopje: METAHOJA book shop and cafe

I was walking from meeting to meeting in Skopje (city center), when I happened upon this bookshop cafe.

The books on display in the window had caught my eye - they were books (in English) that my daughter would enjoy reading. On the market for some books for her (in English) I went inside to inquire about the books, only to learn that those were for display.  (They belonged to the owner's daughter, who was away at university.)  The books inside the shop seemed to focus on spirituality and religion. They were in Macedonian - but you can see from the artwork on the book covers (below).


(We have since found a book shop at Ramstore Mall that has a section of kids books in English)

I had a paper to edit, so, I ordered a macchiatto (of course!), and enjoyed this quiet spot to do some work before my next appointment.

While there I picked up a copy of a book of poetry that the owner's daughter had written while she was in high school.  The poems were each in English and in Macedonian. So I though this would be a nice treat for my daughter.  Pictured below, the book is called The Peak of Tonight, by Gabriela Michele Milkova.  Here is one of the poems:

"Lament"

I mourn for the girl of Someday --
Slain by her of Now.

Born of dreams,
She died at Dawn,
In the sun she shone.
Vanished as the morning dew...
As today ensued.
And no dreams to pursue
No someday to look to...





the owner's daughter wrote this book of poetry when she was in high school
 

No comments:

Post a Comment