Thursday, March 23, 2017

Bitola: Around town and Lunch at Vino Bar Bure

We arrived in Bitola (in Southern Macedonia) a bit ahead of schedule, so we had a minute to grab a quick macchiatto before the first meeting.  What a beautiful day! This pedestrian walkway, lined with shops and cafes is just steps from the American Corner.



 Image result for map of macedonia

(There are 5 American Corners in Macedonia: Struga, Stip, Bitola, Tetovo, and Skopje)

The pictures from my camera do not really do it justice, but I loved the architectural features on the buildings in this downtown area. (So much of what I am surrounded by in Skopje is relatively new construction - built after the devastating earthquake in 1963.)

(there have been demonstrations in Bitola as well...evidenced by the flags/bunting/banners)


After the meetings in the morning at UKLO (University St. Kliment Ohridski in Bitola) we had a delicious lunch at Vino Bar Bure. I loved the decor - re-purposed/re-furbished objects (like the grand piano/table and music stand light fixture)




The food was delicious!! Highly recommended!! 
(I wanted to remember the names of the wonderful dishes we sampled - and now I don't! - but I can tell you that for "dessert" I dried one of those plums wrapped in bacon topped with blue cheese - wow! (pictured on that sampler, above) what a treat!)


Here is the facebook page for Vino Bar Bure:  https://www.facebook.com/vinobarbure/

No comments:

Post a Comment