Friday, March 24, 2017

Skopje: a visit to Sistina Hospital

A week ago I was walking along a crowded sidewalk when all of a sudden -- AAAAAAH. Still not sure if I twisted my foot - or if I stepped on something - but the pain brought tears to my eyes - and I could not put any weight on the foot.  It was swollen, bruised, and very difficult to walk around. Tried elevating and icing as best I could, but, still kept up with my teaching and scheduled guest lectures (i.e., it was not elevated as often as it could have been...)  Have been hobbling around all week, apologizing for the casual footwear. 

Even though things were improving, I could still not put on regular shoes and still could not put my foot flat on the floor. It still hurt to walk.

We have no car, so we walk everywhere. Need my foot to be at 100% stat!

Out of an abundance of caution, before the next weekend went by, I thought I better get an x-ray just to be sure there was no fracture. And to find out if there was something else I should be doing to hasten recovery.

I went to Sistina Hospital, a private hospital here in Skopje.

A friend called ahead (THANKS, ANETA!) so they were expecting me.  I checked in, met with the doctor, got the x-ray, met with the doctor again - and was told NO FRACTURE - just go home and rest. (Easier said, than done - but I will try!) 

Everything was modern and clean.  The staff were professional, and the x-ray machine/technology was the latest. (I even have the pictures of my foot on a CD-rom to take home)

I hope I never have to visit there again (no offense) - but - if something does happen (God forbid) - it is nice to know there is a good facility nearby.

Sistina Hospital

on the grounds is this chapel - where I could say a prayer of thanksgiving (not broken!) for myself and healing for the others who are being treated


nice view from the hospital, overlooking the river

I was in meetings all day - then raced to the hospital before it was too late on a Friday afternoon - so it was 3:30 pm and still had not had lunch. There is a nice cafe at the hospital, where I could enjoy a few of my favs -- macchiatto (of course), Schwepps Bitter Lemon, and burek (with cheese). I am really going to miss these staples when I get home! Trying not to think about that yet.
Here is Sistina Hospital website: http://acibademsistina.mk/mk/

And here is the Sistina Hospital facebook page: http://acibademsistina.mk/mk/

No comments:

Post a Comment