Thursday, March 9, 2017

QSI Skopje -- Chili Cook-Off and Book Fair

Tonight at my daughter's school there was a Scholastic Book Fair and a Chili Cook-Off.

We always love (and patronize) the Scholastic book fairs at school back home in Florida - but this one was especially appreciated as we can't find books in English in just any book shop around Skopje. 
a sneak peak before the event began
There was also a Chili Cook-Off and community night. I appreciate the opportunity to socialize with the other parents at my daughter's school, but I was in no position to be making chili!

Every day this week has been a whirlwind -- leaving early in the morning with plans through the evening.  And today I left first thing in the morning for Tetovo -- taught my Constitutional Law class, attended several meetings -- and was lucky to make it back to Skopje in time to get my daughter after school.

There would be no chili prep. So I decided that I would stop by at the bakery near our apartment to buy some special baked goods to accompany the chili. Maybe this counts as home-made?? At least we weren't empty-handed....

how I contributed to the pot luck Chili Cook Off...

everything here is delicious, so who could complain ;-)
 Children (and some parents) performed at the event - which made for a fun evening.

 Here is my daughter's music class 


Thanks to the PSG (Parent Support Group) for organizing!

My daughter usually takes the 2nd bus home on Thursdays (after Girl Scouts and Rock Climbing). Since tonight was the Book Fair and Chili Cook Off (that started when she usually gets home) - it seemed a better idea to meet her at school when she finished rock climbing (and try to sneak in some homework time) than to have her ride home only to turn around immediately in a taxi to go back.

So, I got to see her rock climb. This is in the gym at school:


hanging around after school
As a side note, we are very pleased with the array of choices for after school activities. In addition to the Girl Scouts and rock climbing, she does quilling, drama, science experiments, gymnastics, kangoo jumping, singing, and piano.

We are so pleased that our daughter can go to such a great school while we are here - strong academics and a welcoming community.

No comments:

Post a Comment