Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Skopje: Guest Lecture at Ss. Cyril and Methodius University (UKIM)

I enjoyed  my visit to Ss. Cyril and Methodius University (UKIM) in Skopje, the oldest and largest university in Macedonia. (It was the first state university, founded in 1949 with three faculties.) There are now 23 faculties; I visited with the Faculty of Law.

The law school has been re-named for Emperor Justinian I, known for the codification of Roman Law - the Codex Justinianus.  What I did not know was that he is from just outside of Skopje (present-day Macedonia) -- a village called Tauresium.  (From a quick internet search, it looks like there is an archeological site there. We may have to add visit Justinian I birthplace to our itinerary...)

I had a wonderful time with the Constitutional Law students. They asked so many great questions! I am sure Professor Gordana Siljanoska-Dakova was proud. Thank you again Professor Miso Dokmanovic for arranging my visit

You can learn more about Ss. Cyril and Methodius University on the UKIM website


the law school is behind me in this picture


the law school


image of Justinian I in the atrium of the law school
Thank you Prof Gordana for welcoming me - your students were so well prepared!





terrific questions!

very much enjoyed my time with these Constitutional Law students

the professor's lounge .... enjoyed not one but two macchiattos (!) during my time at UKIM


Prof Gordana shows me the textbook the students are reading in Constitutional Law








Ss. Cyril and Methodius selfie

1 comment: