Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Old Bazaar Skopje

Pretty excited that my Skopje teaching assignment at SEEU is adjacent to the Old Skopje Bazaar.  Turkish coffee and kebabs and pastries await me after class.

Macedonia was part of the Ottoman Empire for 500 years, and the Old Bazaar in Skopje is evidence of that. (For more about the history of the bazaar, see http://www.exploringmacedonia.com/old-bazaar.nspx )

(There is also a Museum of Skopje Bazaar which we will have to visit one of these days. Stay tuned!)


On our second weekend in Skopje, we wandered into the bazaar only briefly - after we had attended a performance at the opera and visited the National Gallery art museum that is housed in the Daut Pasha Hamam, a 15th century Turkish haman near the Bazaar.  We arrived just as everything was closing. We did hear the sundown call to prayer from a few different mosques - managed to capture just the very end from my phone 


This weekend, we were able to spend a bit more time in the bazaar, after touring the Museum of Archeology.
I am teaching at SEEU Skopje campus ... I love that it is the gateway to the Old Skopje Bazaar

I may have to check out their military insignia collection at this shop to see if I can pick up something interesting for my Dad
 

Yum!!  Reminding me of some of the amazing pastries we had in Amman


Aaaaaaaand....my Turkish coffee



We tried kebabs at Destan's...fantastic!
 For more about Destan's see their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/kebapcilnica.DESTAN/
kebabs in the making!
you can watch the kebabs being made from the window - reminded me of watching them make the beignets at Cafe du Monde in NOLA
Brought back wonderful memories of our previous trip to Istanbul, and our visit to the Arasta Bazaar - you can see pics of that post here (there are 14 posts from Istanbul, before and after this post about the Arasta Bazaar)

http://jainmoldova.blogspot.mk/2010/11/arasta-bazaar-and-other-shopping.html

No comments:

Post a Comment