Monday, February 20, 2017

Happy (US) President's Day from Macedonia -- I celebrated by voting today!

How did I celebrate President's Day in Macedonia, you ask?

Why, I filled out my absentee ballot - and dropped it in the пошта (zyra postare).

The Pinellas County Supervisor of Elections Office sent me the ballot (and instructions) by email -- but ballots cannot be returned by email.  They need to be mailed back. Or, you can fax them back, if you don't mind giving up your right to a secret ballot.

So, today, I went to the post office and mailed my ballot for the March municipal elections.  In my case, I voted for the offices of Mayor and for two City Commission seats in my hometown of Madeira Beach, Florida.

We need good leaders up and down the ticket - and - perhaps even more importantly - a well-educated and engaged citizenry - to keep our democracy strong.  In honor of President's Day, I am casting my ballot and choosing to have a voice in the future of our beach community.

our local post office (пошта) in Skoopje

since my ballot was emailed to me, it did not come with the self-addressed envelope - fortunately I could buy envelopes at the local copy shop
I printed out the ballot, secrecy "sleeve" and certificate that were emailed to me at the local copy shop
 And - here we are at Mount Rushmore - Happy President's Day  

No comments:

Post a Comment