Monday, February 27, 2017

meeting with Tanja Tomik - former Member of Partliament and women's rights activist

Mayor Leslie Waters (Mayor of Seminole, Florida and former Florida state legislator) and I bonded over projects designed to engage more women in politics.

She has been conducting trainings with women across the globe. Indeed, as I type this, I believe she is overseas working with women leaders from Libya on behalf of the International Republican Institute (IRI).  (See the IRI website: http://www.iri.org/)

When my application for the "Rule of Law" award with Fulbright was still in its nascent stages, Leslie told me about a remarkable woman she was going to be working with -- Tanja Tomik -- and mentioned that Tanja was from Macedonia (a former Member of Parliament).  I asked Leslie to see if there were any materials from Macedonia (brochures, etc) that she could bring back for me. (There is not much available about Macedonia at our local AAA office, I am afraid.)  Look at these wonderful maps and brochures and cookbook that Tanja gave to Leslie to bring back to me in Florida! We loved looking through the pictures and learning more about Macedonia as we were preparing to move to Macedonia.




Shortly thereafter, Tanja Tomik and I became friends on facebook - so I feel like I have known her forever.  It was such a pleasure to finally meet her in person!

I enjoyed learning more about her work as an elected official -- at the municipal level as well as a Member of Parliament. As well about her current work advancing women's rights in Macedonia.  She runs this webpage

http://ednakvi.mk/

And here is the organization's facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ednakvi.mk/

that conducts research about legislation that affects gender equality, research about women in politics, and promotes women in business and entrepreneurship.

She also conducts trainings and mentorship programs for women interested in getting involved in politics.

I enjoyed our conversation about her work as a legislator (and leader of the Women's Caucus in Parliament), women in politics in Macedonia - and the current political situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment