Monday, November 11, 2019

Fulbright Association Annual Meeting: Advocacy Days 2019

This was the first time that I was able to participate in Fulbright Advocacy Days -- to be able to share my story of the impact of Fulbright and the importance of this public diplomacy program.

I was assigned to a team of Fulbrighters from Florida, led by the Director of the Fulbright commission in Mexico. Our group of Floridians met with the offices of Representative Charlie Crist, Representative Lois Frankel, and Senator Rick Scott.

I was so pleased when I learned that our first meeting would be with the office of Congressman Charlie Crist (my Member of Congress) and that we would be meeting with my former student!

When we met with Senator Rick Scott's senior policy advisor about the Fulbright Program, I learned that he is a former Provost and mentor to another Fulbrighter to Moldova and that he did his dissertation in Mexico (the head of Fulbright Commission in Mexico was our Team Leader). So we had lots to talk about.  Our team thoroughly enjoyed our discussion in Senator Scott's Office about higher ed in general and the Fulbright Program in particular.

We also had an engaging meeting with Representative Lois Frankel's office about the Fulbright Program.  We met with her foreign policy advisor, who was quite knowledgeable (and he also shared info about initiatives Rep Frankel is working on that I want to learn more about, e.g., assistance for rape victims in Kosovo).

 



Our meeting in Rep Charlie Crist' Office was with my former student  :-)  proud prof moment

 

Rep Lois Frankel is the artist!


Office of Representative Lois Frankel


Office of Senator Rick Scott
 

No comments:

Post a Comment